Monday 27 August 2012

Cookie Monster

I've been wanting to have a go at Cookies & Cream cupcakes forever, they're one of my favourite flavours to try when I'm at a bakery. The idea is simple; chocolate cake, vanilla icing and some sort of biscuits or cookies - usually Oreos (which used to be a rare treat until they started selling them in every supermarket!). There are hundreds of versions of these cupcakes online, these are just a few of the ones I liked the look of:

Bakerella: Cookies & Cream Cupcakes
Instructables: Death by Oreo Cupcakes
Your Cup of Cake: Oreo Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

I started with my standard chocolate sponge recipe, and I couldn't decide which way to add the Oreos; a whole cookie in the bottom of each cake, or broken up and folded into the mixture. So I did both! The recipe usually makes 12 cupcakes, but I was using muffin cases which are a bit bigger than normal so it only made 11 this time. They also took a bit longer to bake than they normally would.

The icing is a plain buttercream made from butter, icing sugar and a splash of milk, beaten together with a stand mixer or electric hand mixer until light and fluffy. I then crushed three or four Oreos with a rolling pin until they were dust and mixed them into the icing. I love how the cream in the middle of the cookies makes the icing really white, and makes the crumbs stand out more. And yes that is a whole Oreo poking out of the top of each cake. Let's not think about how many calories they contain...


After a lot of detailed analysis (yum!) we couldn't come to a decision on which was the best way to incorporate the Oreos into the cake, but did agree that the cookie crumb icing is delicious, if a little rich. I actually don't think I could eat several of these cupcakes in one sitting, which makes a change!


No comments:

Post a Comment